Re: CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

From: Antoine Quint <ml@graougraou.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:44:00 +0100
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Hello Bert and the CSS WG,

On 28 nov. 04, at 23:45, Bert Bos wrote:

> 6) PROPERTIES WITH DANGEROUSLY GENERIC NAMES
>
> Several properties in SVG 1.2 (including 'enable-background',
> 'overlay', 'cache', 'static', 'snap', 'focusable', 'tooltip') have
> names that are likely to clash with future CSS extensions. Since the
> SVG-introduced properties apply only to specific SVG cases, whereas
> the CSS properties are generic, we request that the SVG property names
> be made more specific to avoid future clashes.

Although you are probably aware, the reason for this type of issue is
that CSS doesn't offer any way to "package" property names and ensure
avoiding clashes with other vocabularies. One way to solve the CSS WG
issue is that these new attributes could remain XML attributes and not
be made available too via CSS mechanisms. That is my preferred solution
as renaming properties would complexify usage by SVG authors.

Antoine
--
Antoine Quint <aq@fuchsia-design.com>
W3C Invited Expert (SVG and CDF)