Re: CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Antoine Quint wrote:

>> Several properties in SVG 1.2 (including 'enable-background',
>> 'overlay', 'cache', 'static', 'snap', 'focusable', 'tooltip') have
>> names that are likely to clash with future CSS extensions. Since the
>> SVG-introduced properties apply only to specific SVG cases, whereas the
>> CSS properties are generic, we request that the SVG property names be
>> made more specific to avoid future clashes.
>
> Although you are probably aware, the reason for this type of issue is
> that CSS doesn't offer any way to "package" property names and ensure
> avoiding clashes with other vocabularies.

Prefixing every property with "svg-" would do that.

However, since the properties are cascaded for every single element in the
tree, regardless of namespace, a property only applying to one namespace
should be a warning sign anyway, which is one reason that the CSS working
group hasn't introduced a mechanism to do what you describe.

> One way to solve the CSS WG issue is that these new attributes could
> remain XML attributes and not be made available too via CSS mechanisms.

Personally, for many of the above properties I think that would be much
better. For example, the 'focusable' property doesn't seem like something
you'd want to change from a stylesheet.