Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: B.4 File Upload

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:11:23 +0100
To: Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Cameron,

Cameron McCormack wrote:
> In B.4.1 it is said:
>
>   On devices that have no file system, it may still open a dialog for
>   data acquisition, eg an interface to a built-in camera.
>
> What would happen for a device that has both a camera and a filesystem,
> for example?  Should there be some parameter to
> SVGGlobal.createFileDialog that specifies a source for the file?
> Presumably either a standard string (such as "filesystem") or some
> implementation defined string, since attempting to define a set of
> acquisition sources would be a little out of scope.

It is indeed out of scope. I would expect a reasonable device that had
both to provide a unified interface (eg my Mac shows my camera as a
mounted file system -- granted you can't trigger the picture taking that
I know of, but it's a start). The file APIs are meant to do the minimal
amount of work to support the requests for functionality that have been
made, and I'd rather not walk down the road of providing more. My
personal wish is that the W3C start a WG to handle this sort of API so
that the SVG WG can stop catering directly to those needs.

--
Robin Berjon