Re: SVG 1.2 questions: editable text

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> * should there also be an attribute indicating whether a text is
> "selectable" (true|false)?

As Doug said, it's in there (and yes it's very useful, please tell us if
it meets your needs).

> * should there be a way to set boundaries an how many characters the
> child of a text-element (or tspan) can contain? Esp. if the user pastes
> text from the clipboard. Imagine you have a textfield where you want to
> limit the number of characters the user can enter or paste, say to 50
> characters. Potentially, the user could paste pages of text, which could
> lead to undesirable results.

The design goal behind editable text is that it should give users what
they need to go ahead and implement their own more advanced stuff while
minimizing scripting complexity. I agree that what you propose isn't all
that "advanced" but it can be painlessly handled in script with the
current framework and therefore wouldn't make the cut.

--
Robin Berjon