RE: Clarification of Parameters to Relative Cubic Bezier Spline / Bug

From: Thomas E Deweese <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:43:50 -0400
To: Andy Bailey <ambailey@usb.edu.co>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

AB> In the specification of Relative Cubic Bezier Spline (svg 1.1) c
AB> (x1 y1 x2 y2 x y)+ it does not what the parameters are relative to

    Trust me it does say a bit before where it would be useful to say
it.  Finding the exact quote is left as an excercise for the reader.

AB> I assumed that the x1 and y1 were relative to the current point
AB> that x2 and y2 were relative to the final point of the curve (x,
AB> y) and that x y were relative to the current point.

AB> This seems to me to be logical

    This is 'one' logical view I originally considered each to be
relative to the precursor, neither is correct.

AB> However I am using cocoon with batik to do the rendering and I
AB> discovered that the x2 y2 is relative to the current point, this
AB> doesnt seem to be logical.

    I think this is done so that there is only one current point.

AB> If one drew the diagram you would draw it as in the diagram
AB> cubic01.png in the same page of the svg 1.1 specifications. (that
AB> I am attaching)

AB> Is this a bug in batik or is this the intended form of svg, in
AB> either case I think the parameters need to be clarified.

    It is the intended form of SVG.  I agree that a clarification of
the specification text would be useful (the spec is clear).