Re: xlink

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:00:01 -0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

"Thomas DeWeese" <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com> wrote in message
>     I'm not sure I agree with Dean, because in the erratum it specifies:
> <!ENTITY % xlinkRefAttrs "xmlns:xlink CDATA #FIXED
> 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'
>     Since xlinkRefAttrs is present on all the relevant elements it sets
> the xmlns:xlink
> correctly.  So if the document specifies the SVG DTD then it does not
> need to
> provide xmlns:xlink, if it does not specify the SVG DTD then it must
> provide all
> the appropriate namespace specifications (SVG's for example).

However SVG viewers are not required to have a Validating parser and
therefore read the DTD to get at these #FIXED attributes. (although a
non-validating one could do so)   With #FIXED the document can be different
depending on if the DTD is read.  So the above is only true if a validating
parser is used.