Re: xlink

From: Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:20:41 -0400
To: Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Sigurd Lerstad wrote:

>>On Fri 27 Jun 2003, Sigurd Lerstad wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is specifying the xlink prefix with a namespace uri with xmlns optional
>>>

>in
>

>>>svg?
>>>

>>No. It should be there if you use the href attribute on any
>>element.
>>

>>>On the adobe site, there are a lot of svg files which use xlink:href
>>>without first declaring xmlns:xlink=http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink
>>>

>>That's because we screwed up SVG 1.0 and forgot to add xmlns:xlink
>>to the DTD, which meant that in order to be valid you had to
>>leave it off. We fixed it in an erratum, so all should be ok now!
>>

>Except my SVG Viewer can't read the svg files on the adobe site. You are
>saying that that's not my fault, but Adobe's fault?

    I'm not sure I agree with Dean, because in the erratum it specifies:

<!ENTITY % xlinkRefAttrs "xmlns:xlink CDATA #FIXED
'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'

    Since xlinkRefAttrs is present on all the relevant elements it sets
the xmlns:xlink
correctly.  So if the document specifies the SVG DTD then it does not
need to
provide xmlns:xlink, if it does not specify the SVG DTD then it must
provide all
the appropriate namespace specifications (SVG's for example).