Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

John Hayman wrote:
 > Where (hopefully) SVG will take off is in the Mobile space where there is no
 > clear market leader for animations. And (after the success of SMS messaging)
 > there is much motivation to come up with a standard for sending multi-media
 > from one handset wirelessly to another.

You mean MMS? There's SVG in there :)

 > Preferably something that is non-proprietary.

Well that depends on a lot of factors, but keep in mind that the telecom
industry sometimes makes totally absurd choices.

 > But it needs
 > - ubiquity (there are more than a few would-be implementers of SVG-Mobile out
 > there)

That we have already.

 > - fast download (well, we'll see)

That's a topic on which I'm biased, but it's very much possible. There are
several contenders for compression within telecom standard organisations.
Whichever one is chosen will make SVG fast for mobiles, but it might not be
compatible with SVG 1.2 and further developments beyond 1.1.

 > - compelling content (animations are **KEY**)

I'd put that as the missing part. As yet (that I know of) there is too little
interest from content creators (but not complete disinterest -- some are working
on SVG for mobiles). I certainly hope that it changes soon (or that I'm proven
wrong).

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway