Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

From: Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:41:14 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi

> It is important to ask what are the use-cases for streaming. Long
> cartoons? Or just allowing the user to interact immediately with a
> document while more detail is getting downloaded? Something else?

There are many possible uses for streaming, e.g.:
* "movies" - this is probably the biggest area for Flash right now. Could be
animated instructions, feature walk-throughs, intros and much more.
Streaming makes it possible to have a >100kb movie that still plays without
a long waiting time. I think this is the most important case.
* applications - load the initial user interface first, load in
functionality later
* level-of-detail images - such as maps.

/niklas
www.protocol7.com