Re: Tinier SVG

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:17:57 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
CC: simonstl@simonstl.com

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, 11:49:47 AM, AndrewWatt2001 wrote:

Aac> In a message dated 13/11/2002 15:25:27 GMT Standard Time,
Aac> simonstl@simonstl.com writes:

>> >The zip of the classfiles is 96 kilobytes. I agree SVGT could be made
>> >smaller by cutting functionality, but its a nice sweet spot in terms
>> >of capabilities and seems to fit will with what the devices are
>> >offering in terms of imaging devices.
>>
>> 96K is nice unless you only have 64K to work with, the basic constraint
>> for J2ME MIDP work.

And 64k is fine unless you are constrained to 10k, and Java is fine
unless you are constrained to Brew, and ....

>> Oh well.. I guess the W3C isn't likely to be interested in this, having
>> already hit the sweet spot,

Its an example. Simon, you are experienced enough and smart enough to
be able to distinguish between a spec and an implementation without
being prompted.

Also, your initial mail specifically said that it was not a change
request, so kindly keep your W3C-bashing to the times where it is
warranted and will do some good ;-)

>> so I'll just cook up something on my own. (I haven't had time for
>> the project in the past few months, so that isn't a promise.)

Aac> Do you have information/estimates about what proportion of
Aac> devices ... in use or currently for sale ... are limited to 64K?

I would be interested to hear that, as well.