From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2001 20:24:53 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 17:08, Chris Lilley wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a good way to deal with color printing of SVG
> > images.  SVG's RGB-centric approach is great for screen, but difficult
> > for print.
> No, not at all. After all, its not 'just RGB'. Firstly, its calibrated
> sRGB so it can be converted by a color management system to LAB and thus
> to any other colorspace. Secondly, apart from filters, color clamping is
> late as possible and thus, out of sRGB gamut values are preserved so
> 'can print but can't view' colors can be accomodated. Thirdly, paint
> properties allow an arbitrary ICC colorspace to be used (with an sRGB
> fallback) so for example CMYK, Hexachrome, duotones or whatever you want
> can be accomodated.

Thanks, Chris, but let's slow down a little.  These aren't SVG images
I've created, and I don't have a lot of tools for processing them.  I
feel much like I did about ten years ago when I was working at a
Manhattan Kinko's trying to make color photocopiers work.  I don't have
control over color space, don't have a clue what hexachrome is, and
mostly know about color from long and traumatic experiences with Adobe
Photoshop 3 and the joys of creating separations.

The color information in SVG seems to suggest that sRGB magically solves
everything, but are there any simple tools for working with sRGB - for
instance, to approximate colors specified as RGB in forms that will work
in CMYK?

I'm looking at this through a very narrow window, not a full collection
of powerful graphic tools.
> Not that isn't 'generic CMYK' either, but a specific CMYK color profile
> for a particular device, paper, ink set, dot gain etc and under a given
> illuminant.

I'll settle in this case for roughly tolerable CMYK as a circa 1994
color copier (Xerox or Canon, I don't mind) might produce.  There's
color management and then there's "wow!  this banding in the gradients
looks hideous" or "why exactly do you make your designers work under
cheap fluorescent lights?"

> > I'm aware of the rendering-intent attribute, but are there any tools
> > designed to make the color issues any less painful?
> Color management systems in general make this less painful. Ensure that
> you are using such a system and that you have profiles for sRGB, for
> your screen, and for all the printers you intend to use.

Is color management incorporated into any of the existing SVG toolkits?
I know the Adobe SVG Viewer has some color management, but it doesn't
seem oriented toward print, even relatively simple print.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue