Re: SVG, CMYK

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I'm trying to find a good way to deal with color printing of SVG
> images.  SVG's RGB-centric approach is great for screen, but difficult
> for print.

Hi, Simon.

No, not at all. After all, its not 'just RGB'. Firstly, its calibrated
sRGB so it can be converted by a color management system to LAB and thus
to any other colorspace. Secondly, apart from filters, color clamping is
late as possible and thus, out of sRGB gamut values are preserved so
'can print but can't view' colors can be accomodated. Thirdly, paint
properties allow an arbitrary ICC colorspace to be used (with an sRGB
fallback) so for example CMYK, Hexachrome, duotones or whatever you want
can be accomodated.

Not that isn't 'generic CMYK' either, but a specific CMYK color profile
for a particular device, paper, ink set, dot gain etc and under a given
illuminant.

> I'm aware of the rendering-intent attribute, but are there any tools
> designed to make the color issues any less painful?

Color management systems in general make this less painful. Ensure that
you are using such a system and that you have profiles for sRGB, for
your screen, and for all the printers you intend to use.

--
Chris