RE: When will browers support SVG without plug-in?

> From:	andre [SMTP:andre.simmons@exponent.co.uk]
>
> Could anyone tell me if Microsoft or Netscape have made any plans yet
> (Time frames) as to
> when/if thier browers will support SVG without the plug-in.

[DJW:]  I would think it is sufficiently far
off that the information would only be available
under NDA.  I think that is generally true up
to the public beta, at the earliest.

Even with embargoed information, I'd expect them
to reserve the right to drop or delay support if they
felt that there was no market or it was immature.

Note that with various set top box web browsing
solutions coming onto the market, even if you
limit yourself to fairly popular browsers, you can
expect version 3 browsers to be around for the next
5 to 10 years, e.g the one being marketed under the
Bush brand in the UK claims to be HTML 3.2.  (These
devices have relatively little scope for in the field
upgrade, even if they are re-flashable.)
[DJW:]