Using data URL's (was Re: images)

At 8:43 AM -0700 8/4/00, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>You can embed images (or fonts or whatever) inline into an SVG by using the
>"data" URL scheme, which documented at ftp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2397.txt
>
>Here is an example of something I exported from Adobe Illustrator 9. The
>original file contained only a single raster image which is a checkerboard
>of red, green and blue squares. I am pretty sure that the embedded raster
>file is a PNG.

	This raises the obvious question - how do you tell??

	As I read the RFC, you are supposed to define the mediatype
of the data object.  I would suspect that this should be "image/png",
or "image/jpeg", but in your example, the datatype is left blank.
According to the RFC, that means it's text/ascii - but it's not :(.

	Is there an undefined "default" for SVG viewers to use that
is different from the RFC, or is this simply a bug in Illustrator's
SVG export module?

Leonard
                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65