Re: Need clarifications about text

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:35:37 +0200
To: Thierry Kormann <Thierry.Kormann@sophia.inria.fr>
CC: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>, www-svg@w3.org

Thierry Kormann wrote:

> > For the case of gradientUnits="objectBoundingBox", the bounding box is the
> > tightest rectangle enclosing all of the rendered glyphs in the entire
> > 'text' element. This definitely warrants clarification in the spec. (I am
> > pretty sure the Adobe viewer has bugs in this area.)
>
> According to this example :
>
> <text style="fill:url(#horizontalGradient)">
> abc<tspan style="fill:url(#verticalGradient)">def</tspan>ghi
> </text>
>
> You mean that if I have both a fill attribute on a text element and on its
> enclosed tspan element, the tspan must be rendered twice ?

No, it means that the size of the text element is the size of all its
content, including its children. Theabc and the def are rendered witha
horizontal gradient, and have a hole in between them big enough to
accomodate the tspan; the def is rendered in this hole witha vertical
gradient.

However, I would check what happens with text-decoration: underline. IIRC
the underline is not inherited and would thus have the horizontal gradient.

--
Chris