Print (PDF) Formatting of Spec - also, title elements

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:09:41 +0100
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Would it be possible in the next version of the specification

1) Use a PDF conversion tool which behaves more like
   the html2ps tool used for the HTML4.x and CSS2

2) use style sheets to inhibit the rules and links at the
   start and end of each web "page";

3) use proper title elements (i.e. ones with some hope
   of global uniqueness - HTML titles should make sense
   out of context - "Text" does not).

Particular issues to do with the PDF conversion are:

- the rather unprofessional "local disk" as the top level
  in the outline tree;

- the use of titles (which probably relates to item (3)
  above) rather than headings to construct the outline
  tree - whilst this may be the best compromise for
  commercial quality "HTML", W3C documents are normally
  properly structured, with Hn elements used appropriately
  and properly nested;

- I very much liked the page number cross-references
  generated by html2ps in the hardcopy version.

I haven't checked whether (2) is possible, in general, or
with html2ps.