Print (PDF) Formatting of Spec - also, title elements

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:09:41 +0100
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Would it be possible in the next version of the specification
to:

1) Use a PDF conversion tool which behaves more like
   the html2ps tool used for the HTML4.x and CSS2
   specifications;

2) use style sheets to inhibit the rules and links at the
   start and end of each web "page";

3) use proper title elements (i.e. ones with some hope
   of global uniqueness - HTML titles should make sense
   out of context - "Text" does not).

Particular issues to do with the PDF conversion are:

- the rather unprofessional "local disk" as the top level
  in the outline tree;

- the use of titles (which probably relates to item (3)
  above) rather than headings to construct the outline
  tree - whilst this may be the best compromise for
  commercial quality "HTML", W3C documents are normally
  properly structured, with Hn elements used appropriately
  and properly nested;

- I very much liked the page number cross-references
  generated by html2ps in the hardcopy version.

I haven't checked whether (2) is possible, in general, or
with html2ps.