Re: Print (PDF) Formatting of Spec - also, title elements

Dave J Woolley wrote:

> Would it be possible in the next version of the specification
> to:
>
> 1) Use a PDF conversion tool which behaves more like
>    the html2ps tool used for the HTML4.x and CSS2
>    specifications;

It *is* the html2ps tool, followed by distilling.

> 2) use style sheets to inhibit the rules and links at the
>    start and end of each web "page";

Right. Problem with html2ps, last I looked, was that it didn't use the
standard method for associating style sheets. You had to put the print
stylesheet in a .html2psrc file, or something. We could investigate doing
that for the next release.

> 3) use proper title elements (i.e. ones with some hope
>    of global uniqueness - HTML titles should make sense
>    out of context - "Text" does not).

Something like "W3C SVG Specification: ,chaptername goes here>" for
example?

> Particular issues to do with the PDF conversion are:

> - the rather unprofessional "local disk" as the top level
>   in the outline tree;
>
> - the use of titles (which probably relates to item (3)
>   above) rather than headings to construct the outline
>   tree

It looks to me as if the headings are used to construct the TOC.

> - whilst this may be the best compromise for
>   commercial quality "HTML", W3C documents are normally
>   properly structured, with Hn elements used appropriately
>   and properly nested;

How would you tell, in a PDF document, what HTML element was where?

> - I very much liked the page number cross-references
>   generated by html2ps in the hardcopy version.
>
> I haven't checked whether (2) is possible, in general, or
> with html2ps.

It is certainly possible in general

@media print {
.hideme {display:none}