Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 13:07:28 -0500
To: OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com>
Cc: "Myles C. Maxfield" <mmaxfield@apple.com>, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>
>> This is a progression, and improves typography on the Web.
>
> Sorry, but that's not progression.  You're plain wrong.  Apple should
> not be able to dictate what is progress and what isn't.  Such a
> garbage argument.

It *is* progress. In traditional typography underlines don’t cross
descenders. Apple totally did it right; it’s the others who have been
doing it wrong.

The problem isn’t standard or not standard, but that underlining is
not visual decoration. It can mean something. And changing the default
changes meaning if meaning is intended.

--
Ambrose Li // http://o.gniw.ca / http://gniw.ca
If you saw this on CE-L: You do not need my permission to quote