Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

From: Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 09:43:48 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com>

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:34 AM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a progression, and improves typography on the Web.
>
> Sorry, but that's not progression.  You're plain wrong.

By this argument, no browser should ever fix any bugs because doing so would cause behavior changes.

>  Apple should
> not be able to dictate what is progress and what isn't.  Such a
> garbage argument.

The CSS specification states this behavior, not Apple. You are posting on the CSS Working Group’s mailing list.

>> It isn’t forced on you.
>
> Yes, it is.  The way text-decoration works has been changed, and now
> to get it to behave the old STANDARD way, I have to add a CSS style.
> Are you kidding me?  If you want to rewrite the way underlining works,
> you should have to be the one to add your CSS override.  This change
> breaks the way it worked before causing people who care (like me) to
> have to revisit ALL WEBPAGES and add CSS rules to make sure they
> display the old way.

User-stylesheets are a way for users to modify every webpage on the web without creating a detriment to any other user. I suggest you use them (or a browser which supports them, like Safari).