Re: [css-writing-modes] Vertical upright Mongolian intrinsic orientation

On 04/05/17 07:39, fantasai wrote:

> Mongolian needs to be rotated sideways, however, because that's how
> current
> font technology works IIRC.

Correct. Mongolian fonts are designed with glyphs pre-rotated 90°
counter-clockwise, and the layout model used is horizontal. For correct
vertical display of the script, the lines of text need to be rotated 90°
clockwise *and ordered from left to right*. The last bit is where a lot
of software seems to fail. It's easy to typeset a block of LTR
horizontal text and rotate it 90° CW, but then the lines are ordered
right to left.

J.

--

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.