Re: [css-writing-modes] Vertical upright Mongolian intrinsic orientation

On 05/03/2017 04:21 AM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Le 2017-05-03 01:52, Kari Pihkala a écrit :
>>>
>>> If it's typesetting correctly in mixed orientation, but not upright, it's a browser bug.
>>> (I think this is unclear because UTR50 does not provide a data point to reference here,
>>> but the proper behavior can be derived from a combination of UTR50 data and the script
>>> tag.)
>>>
>>> ~fantasai
>
> Elika,
>
> In light of the bug reports filed by Kari, can you have a look at this test then:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-orientation-012.htm
>
> which states
> "
> This test checks that 'text-orientation: upright' causes characters from horizontal-only scripts and from vertical scripts to
> be translated upright.
> "

The test looks correct, Gérard. CJK characters are to be oriented upright.
Mongolian needs to be rotated sideways, however, because that's how current
font technology works IIRC. So the test is correct, but it's incomplete,
because it only looks at Latin and Han.

~fantasai