Re: [css-syntax]The emperor isn't naked, but he's wearing his underpants on his head

On 11/3/16, 3:19 PM, "scratch65535@att.net" <scratch65535@att.net> wrote:

> The current version of CSS is at the point where,
> for the sake of the future as well as people working
> today, it needs to be replaced.

You're certainly not alone in this opinion. There have been several attempts to replace CSS, HTML and JavaScript over the years. So far, I don't think any have succeeded. At best, these failed attempts have influenced the future direction of what they tried to replaced. This makes me wonder whether the effort put into the replacement might have been more efficiently used to engage with the existing web standards directly.

> My proposal for the new direction is what we might call
> "Paint-Can Precedence"

I think most of your proposal could be realized in a pre-processor that took your set of PCP and created inline styles, perhaps building on something like Radium

http://formidable.com/open-source/radium/

I suggest that you try putting together a working prototype, and see if it is useful for you. Then see if it is useful to others. It's a long uphill battle to replace an entrenched technology, and some early experiments may show whether your idea is worth the effort. Radium itself had some early enthusiasm behind it, and it's been a good experiment on whether the cascade is worth the bother (My impression is this experiment has confirmed that it is).

Thanks,

Alan