Re: [css-syntax]The emperor isn't naked, but he's wearing his underpants on his head

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/3/16, 3:19 PM, "scratch65535@att.net" <scratch65535@att.net> wrote:
>
> > The current version of CSS is at the point where,
> > for the sake of the future as well as people working
> > today, it needs to be replaced.
>
> You're certainly not alone in this opinion. There have been several
> attempts to replace CSS, HTML and JavaScript over the years. So far, I
> don't think any have succeeded. At best, these failed attempts have
> influenced the future direction of what they tried to replaced. This makes
> me wonder whether the effort put into the replacement might have been more
> efficiently used to engage with the existing web standards directly.
>
> > My proposal for the new direction is what we might call
> > "Paint-Can Precedence"
>
> I think most of your proposal could be realized in a pre-processor that
> took your set of PCP and created inline styles, perhaps building on
> something like Radium
>
> http://formidable.com/open-source/radium/
>
> I suggest that you try putting together a working prototype, and see if it
> is useful for you. Then see if it is useful to others. It's a long uphill
> battle to replace an entrenched technology, and some early experiments may
> show whether your idea is worth the effort. Radium itself had some early
> enthusiasm behind it, and it's been a good experiment on whether the
> cascade is worth the bother (My impression is this experiment has confirmed
> that it is).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

 Important too that Houdini should make it increasingly possible to
reimagine on the edges and find better abstractions and - importantly - to
test them before we try to launch the 13th standard to fix the other 12.

--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell