Re: [css-pseudo] Need a way to styling the disclosure triangle of the <details> (or <summary>) element

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are lots of discussions here around why list-item is fine. Let's try
> considering the other side: why do you think adding an alias for them is not
> good? If aliasing makes things less confusing for future use, I think it
> should be fine. What would be hurt if we do that?

"Why not" isn't a good reason to add things to a language.  Additions
should have a strong justification behind them.  Aliasing should only
be done when the name is *manifestly* wrong or confusing; imo, it
should only be done when we're *deprecating* the previous name as a
mistake.

Aliasing because "sometimes it's more like this" just invites *more*
confusion, as people now have *two* names to refer to everything.
This gets *way* worse when there's a whole connected set of names
being aliased - it's really confusing if you can set "display:
block-with-marker; list-style-position: inside; marker-type: square;"
*and have it actually work together*.