Re: [css-pseudo] Need a way to styling the disclosure triangle of the <details> (or <summary>) element

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are lots of discussions here around why list-item is fine. Let's
> try
> > considering the other side: why do you think adding an alias for them is
> not
> > good? If aliasing makes things less confusing for future use, I think it
> > should be fine. What would be hurt if we do that?
>
> "Why not" isn't a good reason to add things to a language.  Additions
> should have a strong justification behind them.  Aliasing should only
> be done when the name is *manifestly* wrong or confusing; imo, it
> should only be done when we're *deprecating* the previous name as a
> mistake.

Then, could we deprecate the current names and changing them to 'display:
marked' and 'marker-type', 'marker-position', etc? These names do seem to
make more sense than the current ones, and make it clearer about their
relationship with the '::marker' pseudo-element.

- Xidorn