Re: box-sizing and text in value attribute of input element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:39:18 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
CC: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Karl Dubost <kdubost@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 11/18/14, 3:30 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Okay, so IE is acting like I'd expect - the shadow contents of the
> <input> are overflow:visible by default, and so we see the "hi", just
> offset below the top padding.
>
> With Boris' explanation that they use overflow-clip-box on <input>s to
> make it clip to the content box, FF's behavior also makes sense - it's
> doing the same thing as IE, just with an additional clip that prevents
> you from seeing anything.

That's not the whole story, sadly.

The reason for the overflow-clip-box on input is that overflow to left
and right needs to not run into the border, as I recall.  What IE does
is that overflow in the top/bottom direction is not treated the same as
overflow in the left/right direction.  Again, as I recall; it's been a
while since I last looked at this.

-Boris