Re: box-sizing and text in value attribute of input element

On Nov 5, 2014, at 9:26 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> On 11/5/14, 12:20 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> Seems like some replaced elements (i.e., inputs, but not textareas) have an absolute minimum height of their content height
>
> That's clearly not true, unless you think this absolute minimum height
> mechanism somehow shrinks the used padding...

I was mostly considering the last example without the 'box-sizing: border-box'.

I was thinking that in the shadow DOM, the 'height' value is somehow only passed to the box that is around the value or placeholder, and that other properties such as padding are applied to the box around the outside of that. So you have something like 'input::placeholder { height:0; min-height:1em !important; } in the shadow DOM. The part of the shadow DOM representing the box with the border and padding is not affected by the 'height' property of the input element, and is itself 'height:auto !important'.