Re: box-sizing and text in value attribute of input element

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:30:40 -0800
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Karl Dubost <kdubost@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> That's a harder question.  We need to figure out what behavior is sane, and
>> what we can converge on, if any.  I don't have the ability to easily test IE for
>> this case right now, but getting that data would help; it'll either tell us that
>> there's no compat whatsoever and we can probably do what we want, or it'll
>> lean towards one behavior being something we should prefer.
>
> Here is a comparison of FF/Chrome/IE: http://imgur.com/jTkVSk5

Okay, so IE is acting like I'd expect - the shadow contents of the
<input> are overflow:visible by default, and so we see the "hi", just
offset below the top padding.

With Boris' explanation that they use overflow-clip-box on <input>s to
make it clip to the content box, FF's behavior also makes sense - it's
doing the same thing as IE, just with an additional clip that prevents
you from seeing anything.

It's just Chrome's behavior that looks like hardcoded wackiness.

> What data are you wanting specifically from us to make this decision on?

You gave me what I needed, thanks!