Re: [css3-ui] overflow-text and scrolling (related to issue 24)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:42:02 -0800
To: Ian Vollick <vollick@chromium.org>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
[please don't top-post; instead, quote the sections you're replying to
and respond below them https://wiki.csswg.org/tools/www-style ]

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Ian Vollick <vollick@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> > On 18 Nov 2014, at 15:15, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> > "As some content is scrolled into view, it is likely that other content
>> > may scroll out of view on the other side. If that content’s block container
>> > element is the same that’s doing the scrolling, then implementations should
>> > render an ellipsis/string in place of the clipped content, with the same
>> > details as described in the value definition above, except that the
>> > ellipsis/string is drawn in the start (rather than end) of the block’s
>> > direction (per the direction property).”
>>
>> Oh, and while we’re at it, if we decide to keep this paragraph, I suggest
>> replacing the “should” in the second sentence with a “must”.
>
> I'm concerned about the performance implications here. If browsers have to
> analyze text on every scroll update in order to place the ellipses
> correctly, it'll be a lot tougher to get a fast implementation. Perhaps we
> could hide/fade the ellipses during a scroll interaction and show them
> afterwards?

Firefox seems to do it fine.

One thing you could do if you're concerned with this is to not be
precise about ellipses replacing characters of text during a scroll
update; instead, just clip the text drawing within the ellipsis area
(allowing partially-drawn letters/etc), then when scrolling is done
actually figure out what portion of the text needs to be omitted due
to overlapping the ellipsis area.