Re: box-sizing and text in value attribute of input element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:38:49 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
CC: Karl Dubost <kdubost@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 11/18/14, 2:23 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I don't think Brad's is correct in its details, but right in that this
> is probably a result of some incredibly hacky shadow-ish
> implementation stuff.  The same is likely true of Firefox's, just with
> a different result (unless they have overflow:hidden on the contents
> of their <input> for some reason).

The text in Gecko is inside a shadow div which inherits the overflow
value of the <input>, except if the input has overflow:visible or
overflow:-moz-hidden-unscrollable.  In that case,  it ends up with
overflow:auto.

There's some overflow-clip-box styling in there too.

> That's a harder question.  We need to figure out what behavior is
> sane, and what we can converge on, if any.

Indeed.

> which has the goal of documenting the
> semi-replacedness of some form inputs, and explaining and specifying
> which parts of an input can actually be styled cross-platform.

I can't wait for this to happen.  Thank you!

-Boris