Re: [css-pseudo] please make sure pseudo-element "alt" property makes it into next ED

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 15:06:54 -0800
Cc: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>

> On Nov 10, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the most compelling use case presented is the empty string case,
>> where the generated content is meant to be purely decorative. Signaling to
>> an AT that the decorative bit should not be read out seems pretty useful.
>
> But it wouldn’t be read out anyway?

Most screen readers navigate the view hierarchy (pseudo-elements get a view) via a platform accessibility API, rather than directly through the DOM. Because of this, CSS generated text content can be read by screen readers, and navigated by other assistive technologies.

> What do I miss—what problem are we fixing?
>
> (Thanks for explaining.)

Here's the original message from 2012, with the original example.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0233.html