Re: [css3-values] feedback

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:23:52 -0800
To: Wallace Hermano <wallacehermano@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 10/07/2013 04:42 AM, Wallace Hermano wrote:
> Sugestion:
> It's good put the definition of *em unity* and other units
> on all documents of W3C as:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#em-unit
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/  because
> the conception of the units is important. It's so confusing
> using another sites like Adobe Glossary and Wikipedia.

Hi Wallace,
The CSS specs are there to define CSS concepts, not to provide
the etymology of typographic terms. We discuss a bit the x-height
because the 'ex' unit is related to the x-height... but since
the 'em' is only historically (and not actually) related to the
size of an "M", it's probably more confusing than helpful to add
this kind of historical note.

So I think it's better to leave the spec as-is, and let sites like
Wikipedia provide the historical context. :)

Let me know if that makes sense!

~fantasai