Re: Why not max/min-font-size? & extend them to other properties of sizes

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:34:52 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Kseso? <kseso9@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 2014-06-17 13:44, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
> wrote:

>>> These seem easy and useful;
>>

>> How does a web author know in advance the mininimum text size suitable
>> for
>> his audience?
>
> People usually complain about text being too *small*

Yes they do.

> , not too large.
> I don't see a problem here. This lets authors set a font-size in
> something useful but possibly variable, but ensure it doesn't get
> smaller than, say, 16px.

A preferred font size (for legibility, readability purposes) expressed
in pixels depends on the pixel density. A preferred font size (for
legibility, readability purposes) expressed in pixels relates to the
pixel density. No?

>> How can a web author know the pixel density of my screen resolution?
>> (eg
>> 96DPI)
>
> What relevance does this have?

Let's say I use a 96DPI and a minimum font size (browser setting) set to
16px. If or when I increase pixel density of my device, then my minimum
font size for reading, legibility will have to be increased
proporitionnally to ensure the same legibility. Agreed?

Gérard