Re: [css-flexbox] "Masonry" effect

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:30:29 +0200
To: JK <jkxxx@centrum.cz>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM, JK <jkxxx@centrum.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
> For a few days I wanted to achieve pure CSS3 solution for "Masonry" effect.
> And I found out there is no option to replicate the same grid.
> Don't you think it should be a part of align-* property as a value?

Flexbox cannot do "masonry"; it's completely incompatible with its
sizing and layout algorithm.  Flexbox is a 1d layout mode, while
masonry is 2d.

Grid can't quite do masonry, but it's theoretically compatible; you'd
need a grid that only used gridlines in one axis, and let items pack
in tightly along the other axis.  I expect this to show up in Grid 2.