Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

Alan Stearns wrote:

 > >Your proposed solution goes against a fundamental principle of style
 > >sheets: to separate style from structure.
 >
 > And in the part of my message that you snipped, I expressed some of my
 > arguments for why separation of concerns should not be an absolute.

I have read your arguments. For me, the separation of style from
structure one of the foundations CSS stands on. Probably THE
foundation. So I don't think we should break that priciple, even if it
seems convenient to do so.

 > This sparked a thread on the Extensible Web list [1] that has been
 > discussing this in more detail, and the feedback there has been
 > fairly consistent about not holding improvements to the web
 > platform hostage to a absolutist SOC argument.

Many people liked the <FONT> tag, too.

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1996Mar/0170.html

 > > It relies on Regions being
 > > represented by dummy HTML elements instead of writing them in CSS
 > > (which would have been easy).
 >
 > I’m perfectly happy to be able to write them in CSS. I particularly like
 > grid slots. Do you have any other suggestions on how to create containers
 > in CSS?

There have been several CSS-based proposals that use @-rules instead
of @-rules:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-template/