Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

On 1/22/14, 11:34 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Alan Stearns wrote:
>
> > >Your proposed solution goes against a fundamental principle of style
> > >sheets: to separate style from structure.
> >
> > And in the part of my message that you snipped, I expressed some of my
> > arguments for why separation of concerns should not be an absolute.
>
>I have read your arguments. For me, the separation of style from
>structure one of the foundations CSS stands on. Probably THE
>foundation. So I don't think we should break that priciple, even if it
>seems convenient to do so.

I think that’s the crux of the issue. The rest of your points in the ala
article are a bit outdated, but that’s understandable when you dismiss the
whole spec on these principled grounds. I’m hoping the CSSWG can have a
good discussion next week about when separation of concerns MUST apply.
I’m fairly certain I understand your position, and I’ll make sure it’s
represented in the discussion.

Thanks,

Alan