Re: [css-counter-styles] About override loop

From: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:12:33 +1100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current draft doesn't discuss what will happen if there is an
> override loop. However, it is obvious that all styles in an override
> loop should actually override 'decimal', like those override a
> nonexistent style. I just think it is better to mention such case in
> the spec.

After doing some thinking, I propose that only the descriptor which is
unspecified in all styles in the cycle should fall to 'decimal'.

For example, if there is three styles: A, B, and C:

@counter-style A { system: override B; negative: A; }
@counter-style B { system: override C; prefix: B; }
@counter-style C { system: override A; suffix: C; }

Then all three styles should use 'A' for 'negative', 'B' for 'prefix',
and 'C' for 'suffix', and other descriptors will inherent the value of
'decimal'.

Regards,
Xidorn Quan