Re: [css-counter-styles] question about API

From: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:17:58 +1100
To: Reece Dunn <msclrhd@googlemail.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think that the key questions are:
>
> 1.  When setting the values, how are inter-connected values validated?
>
> 2.  What are the intended use cases of the getter API?

I don't mind if there is another API from which the client can access
the computed value directly. But I think there should be at least one
method for client to get the original value declared in CSS, because
if the original value is known, it is possible, whatever complex, for
the user to follow the rule and figure out the effective value,
however, if only the computed value is known, it is impossible for the
user to know the original ones, except reparsing the CSS text itself.

As you mentioned before that, if the original value is returned,
people may build some jQuery-like libs to access such API. But did you
note that, it is still able to build such libs if they want. But if
the API follows your proposal, they will be completely disabled from
doing the reverse.

Regards,
Xidorn Quan