Re: [css-flexbox][css-align] Should a flex container's "overflow directions" be established by its main/cross axes? (instead of its block/inline directions)

On 07/30/2014 10:53 AM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
>> On 07/30/2014 08:33 AM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
>>> Chrome is still flowing in the same direction as column (thus
>> overflowing at the bottom)
>>> while IE and FF are flowing in the reverse of column (thus overflowing at the
>> top).
>>
>> I don't think that's the case (RE chrome overflowing at the bottom) -- at least,
>> on my system, I see the following with "overflow:auto" set, on the column-
>> reverse side of the testcase[1] I linked in my original post
>> here:
>>
>>   ---------
>>   |     ^ |
>>   |  2  | |
>>   |     o |
>>   |  1  v |
>>   ---------
>>
>> The scrollbar starts out scrolled to the bottom, implying that it's giving us
>> access to scrollable overflow off the top.
>
> You're right, I didn't notice this. I agree completely that the Chrome behavior
> is the expected result.

I don't think we want to change the overflow direction based on
flex-direction, actually. I think we want to change the overflow
direction based on the scroller's content alignment direction
(align-content, justify-content). This will result in the same
thing in the default alignments, but in cases where the alignment
is different, it'll still scroll towards overflowing content. And
that will work in non-flexbox situations as well.

~fantasai