Re: [css-shapes] how to size and position <image>s

On 10/17/13 3:42 AM, "Dirk Schulze" <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>On Oct 17, 2013, at 10:44 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>wrote:

>>> I think CSS Images does define that [1].
>>
>> It defines what it means and how it's used, but it doesn't
>> define what it *is* in any given instance. If you invoke
>> the concrete object size resolution algorithm, you have to
>> explicitly provide a default object size.
>>
>> Unless you're reading a paragraph I missed? Mind quoting it?
>
>It is a bit hard to read through all the definitions. The object size
>depends on the concrete object size, which depends on the intrinsic
>dimension and the specified size with the ultimate fallback to the
>default object size. The default object size depends on the definitions
>of each CSS property, as can be seen in section "Examples of CSS object
>size" (inconsistent name IMO).

The last example in that section is for 'replaced elements', but none of
the linked sections of 2.1 mention a default object size (presumably
because this wasn't a 2.1 notion). Is it defined anywhere what the default
object size of a floated image element actually is?

>So you are right, the default object size must be defined by the CSS
>property. I thought this was in CSS Shapes and was defined as the border
>box. But I can't find this in the spec right now. Alan: Did I mistakenly
>read it, or was it removed?

It was not removed - I was unaware that the default object size needed to
be defined. I'm happy to add it to the spec, but I should follow what the
default object size for an image element is, and I don't know where that's
defined.

Thanks,

Alan