Re: [css-text] Distribution of space for justification

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 00:26:38 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 19:22 -0700, fantasai wrote:
> I just added some spec text to the justification section saying that within a
> single prioritization level (e.g. at each space for 'inter-word', or between
> each pair of adjacent characters in 'distribute' justification'), space must
> be distributed equally to each expansion opportunity *in proportion to the
> font-size*.
Note that some systems deliberately add more space on one side of
alternate lines, or move spaces around a little, as a way to try
to avoid "rivers" of white space when spaces align on successive
lines creating a distracting emergent pattern. Notice the river in
this paragraph (if the formatting is preserved in the mail reader

> So, changes in font-pitch or word-spacing/letter-spacing will not
> affect how much space gets distributed to a given expansion opportunity.

I think this part is in general OK, just don't be over-prescriptive in
justification and prevent smarter algorithms.

Liam