Re: [css3-page] Flexbox algorithm for page-margin box layout

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:32:17 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 25/03/2013 18:53, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> Is it possible with such a setup to have @top-center be centered by default,
>> even if all three boxes all have a different amount of content, but still
>> roughly distribute the space proportionally to the amount of content?
>
> These two constraints seem to be contradictory.

There are, hence the "roughly". This contradiction is actually the root
of most of the complexity of the current page-margin box "variable
dimension" algorithm.

> But no, you can't guarantee that the central item will be centered,
> unless you can guarantee that the two outer items are equal-size.

Not with flexbox, ok.

So it seems that we’re stuck with either:

1. Define a specific layout algorithm, as the current draft does.
2. Drop the promise that @top-center defaults to being centered, even
with different amount of content in @top-right and @top-left.

Thoughts?

--