[css-backgrounds] Painting area and 'background-attachment: local'

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:57:03 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>

So, we recently decided that with 'background-attachment: local', the
background positioning area is based on the "inner" scrolled content,
not the "outer" box:

What about the background *painting* area? I think it should be the
same. Specifically:

   When 'background-attachment' is 'local' for a given background layer:

   1. Both the positioning and painting area are based on the scrolled
content. (The difference between padding-box and border-box includes any
non-overlay scrollbars in addition to borders.)

   2. Values of 'overflow' other than 'visible' also affect the
background layer: the background layer is only visible at the
intersection of the painting area and the "outer" padding area.

   Note: This means that 'background-clip: border-box' is
indistinguishable from 'padding-box'.

   Note: when 'overflow' is 'visible', 'background-attachment: local' is
the same as 'scroll'.

Simon Sapin