Re: [css-variables] Remaining Issues

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 07:43:13 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

> Sebastian's solution (just disallow animation-* from taking variables) is
> simple and, by just making the use invalid for now, gives us wiggle room to
> solve it better in the future.

Fran├žois asked me to clarify my statement to avoid misunderstandings.

All I was targeting at with my comment was to avoid the dependency loop Tab
mentioned.

Animating 'var-col-size' is a no-go, but using a transition on 'left' is
> fine.

Basically this was what I had in mind. So disallow defining 'var-col-size'
in 'animation-*' properties but allow to use its value in animated normal
properties.

As I understand the whole thing behind allowing to animate custom
properties is giving the author a more granular control over what is
animated and how. Without having the possibility to animate custom
properties the author could still animate normal properties having custom
properties references as values, though.

Sebastian