[css-grid] Dense Packing (was: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-07-19)

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:37:51 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> dbaron: Do we actually want this switch?
> Rossen: I'm not sure *we* do. In fact we don't want to implement dense
> because we haven't heard any demand

Now you have :-D

My use case is the following one: I've a grid I want to fill with photos. Some photos span multiple rows / columns depending on their aspect ratio. I want to display all the photos - preferably in DOM order - and, if possible, avoid leaving holes in my layout.

I can either do that using a grid with dense packing or by emulating it via JavaScript. In the end, since Chrome already implemented that, I guess I would prefer if all browsers did the same and I could perform the whole layout without the help of JS.