Re: [css-grid] Dense Packing (was: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-07-19)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:13:46 -0700
To: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Fran├žois REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>> dbaron: Do we actually want this switch?
>> Rossen: I'm not sure *we* do. In fact we don't want to implement dense
>> because we haven't heard any demand
>
> Now you have :-D
>

> My use case is the following one: I've a grid I want to fill with photos. Some photos span multiple rows / columns depending on their aspect ratio. I want to display all the photos - preferably in DOM order - and, if possible, avoid leaving holes in my layout.
>
> I can either do that using a grid with dense packing or by emulating it via JavaScript. In the end, since Chrome already implemented that, I guess I would prefer if all browsers did the same and I could perform the whole layout without the help of JS.

As a further note, while the classic Masonry jQuery plugin used sparse
packing, there have been many requests over the years for dense
packing, and several variants that do it.  I can't find the recent JS
library that does dense packing that I was looking at previously, but
it looks quite nice.

~TJ