Re: [css3-syntax] Making U+0080 to U+009F "non-ASCII"?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:13:09 +0100
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
* Simon Sapin wrote:
>Le 24/01/2013 21:46, Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
>> * Simon Sapin wrote:
>>> css3-syntax defines "non-ASCII character" as "A character with a
>>> codepoint equal to or greater than U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE."
>>>
>>> Could we change that to "… equal to or greater than U+0080"? In other
>>> words, having the whole block of C1 control characters be considered
>>> non-ASCII. I don’t think that more than a tiny amount of existing
>>> content would be affected, but I don’t have any data to support that.
>>
>> Changing the definition of a specification-level concept like "non-ASCII
>> character" does not have to affect anything outside the specification.
>
>It changes the tokenization (and thus parsing) of some character
>sequences. C1 control character that were previously delim tokens would
>become part of a ident, at-keyword, hash, function or dimension token.

Your worry about existing content misses the option to change the defi-
nition of "non-ASCII character" and also changing how the definition is
used in other parts of the document. Similarily, the document could use
a different term than "non-ASCII character" to avoid some of the issues
you mentioned.