Re: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:07:53 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 1/24/13 12:41 PM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

>* Philip Walton wrote:
>>Obviously it would be terribly confusing, but has the option of both
>>pseudo-class and pseudo-element been discussed?
>>
>>`input:placeholder` would be used to describe an input element whose
>>placeholder is visible and `input::placeholder` would be used to style
>>the
>>placeholder.
>
>I note in passing that the identifier `placeholder` does not have to be
>used in any selector at all, the Working Group is free to call them e.g.
>`:unedited` and `::hint-text` if it wanted to.

This seems the most reasonable approach to me (based on what I've
understood in this thread so far).

Have an :unedited pseudo-class representing the state of the input
element, with a ::suggestion pseudo-element that represents the contents
of the element in that state. I'll add this option to the wiki.

Thanks,

Alan