Re: [css3-syntax] Making U+0080 to U+009F "non-ASCII"?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:59:00 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 24/01/2013 22:13, Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
> Your worry about existing content misses the option to change the defi-
> nition of "non-ASCII character" and also changing how the definition is
> used in other parts of the document. Similarily, the document could use
> a different term than "non-ASCII character" to avoid some of the issues
> you mentioned.

If I understand correctly, you’re suggesting editorial-only changes. Either:

* Change "non-ASCII" to U+0080+, add a "C1 control character"
definition, and replace occurrences of "non-ASCII" by "non-ASCII except
C1 control characters". Or something similar.
* Use another term instead of "non-ASCII".

This would address the current definition being "wrong" but not what I
really want. Which is being able to implement a conforming tokenizer
that, for efficiency, pretends that UTF-8 bytes are code points.

My proposal is to change "non-ASCII" to U+0080+, and nothing else.

--
Simon Sapin