Re: Case sensitivity in CSS: some tests

Le 11/01/2013 09:47, Richard Ishida a écrit :
> On 09/01/2013 17:57, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> >On 1/9/13 11:00 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
>> >  > Selectors and HTML element tags match regardless of case (this is
>> >  > constrained to ASCII).
>> >
>> >Constrained in that the tests do not test non-ASCII or that they test
>> >that it's not compared equal with ASCII.
> I meant to say that the things being tested can only be ASCII, since all
> HTML element names are ASCII only.

All standard element names are ASCII only, but selectors work perfectly
on non-standard elements:

data:text/html;charset=utf8,<xπ>test<style>xπ{color:green
data:text/html;charset=utf8,<xπ>test<style>xΠ{color:green

(U+03C0 Small Pi vs. U+03A0 Capital Pi)

Also, aren’t there cases where Unicode case folding makes some non-ASCII
character match an ASCII character?

data:text/html;charset=utf8,<mark>test<style>marK{color:green
data:text/html;charset=utf8,<mark>test<style>marK{color:green

(U+004B Capital K vs. U+212A Kelvin sign)

Maybe none of this matters in practice, but there still are corner cases
when it makes a difference. (Anything we want to leave undefined should
be marked so explicitly, but I don’t see a reason to do that here.)

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin